Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Thunderstorm And A Softball Tournament

I would love to be able to tell you that I handled the upheaval in my schedule with composure and grace. I would love to tell you that I have no trouble at all when an unexpected glitch comes my way. I would love to...but, I can't.
Rick's softball season comes to a close today with a double elimination tournament. As the commissioner of the league, he is trying to get this tournament completed while dodging raindrops and thunderstorms. I gotten a couple of phone calls from Rick asking for a weather update. "No problem, dear. There is a large mass of green and yellow on the radar and it happens to be right where you are. Not going away anytime soon, either." I was taking care of Abby and Matt, as well as my nieces, while these phone calls were taking place. No problem, the kids were able to play with their cousins. Due to the aforementioned green and yellow mass, there was no playing outside today though.
I decided to clean the kitchen and get lunch started. Toasted ravioli w/dipping sauce sounded good. I usually stick with sandwiches for lunch, but decided this would be a nice treat. I got the ravioli started and then my sister called to say she would be picking the girls up early. No problem, I completely understood. Now I had an oven full of food with only my children to feed. The dishwasher was loaded and running, and lunch was in the oven, when the power went out. Not a flicker and then comes right back on, out.
I noticed myself getting a little agitated, but I kept myself together. I called the electric company to report the outage and was told there were several outages throughout the area. The electric company was hoping to have power restored by 8 p.m. this evening. Didn't they realize that we had been grocery shopping just the night before last, and I had food in the fridge? It was 12:30 and I had things to do, thank you very much! Didn't they realize this was the day I needed to tackle Mt. Washmore, make a cake, and prepare for the Sunday school lesson? Ugh!
My sister and nieces had left. It was just me and my very bored, not sure what to do children. There schedule was turned around just as much as mine. I should have had compassion for them. I should have thanked God that the rain had cooled things off a bit, and that I was going to have some uninterrupted time with my children. Please forgive me, Jesus. I went to sleep. I told the kids to wake me if they needed me, and I slept for a little over an hour. So much for dealing with the situation like a grown-up.
The power is now back on. It was out for about an hour and a half. I am now ready to tackle the projects of today. Right after I go and apologize to Abby and Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment